Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Redecorating.

I know the layout of the blog is quite simple and I'm trying to add a picture somewhere near the title of the blog but I just can't seem to figure out how. So we'll go with this for now. I think simple is anyway what I want.

But talking about changing and simplifying - I'm redecorating our house right now. FUN. We've lived here for about 3 years and this used to be my grandparents' house and we live here for now (and pay rent) until we buy a place of our own. Most of my grandparents' old furniture was still here when we moved and since we moved from a teeny tiny 39 square meter apartment to a 120 square meter row house we didn't have a lot of furniture, so we thought we could use the old stuff for a while. And my parents said it was ok, but they had plans for them later. It was all rather dark and heavy sort of decor - not exactly my style but pretty, and it was great because we couldn't have afforded anything new at the time when we were both still studying. Well, that while turned into three years but now - yesterday in fact - the last dark brown bookshelves found a new home and now I'm making this place all white and colorful and most importantly - I'll make it look like us! All this time, living in my grandparents' house with their furniture and all, I haven't felt like I really lived here.. It was absolutely great we got to move here but I did sort of end up feeling like I was a guest here. In my own home. And since I now have a family and all, it was sort of weird that the only home my son's ever known where we've lived his whole life didn't feel like my home.

Now, isn't this cute?. Source.




















But now I don't feel that way anymore :)

However, right now, it's kind of like having a long picnic in the living room since we have no furniture of our own there yet, ha! Our couches haven't arrived yet and, like I said, we just sold all the shelves so all we have is a mattress in the middle of the living room for some comfort and our TV, DVD's and my husband's video game stuff on the floor. And a lot of books lying around. And my son's toys. (His room is still the same, of course, since we obviously bought him a bed and other furniture when I was pregnant. And painted the walls blue. :) Luckily we did get a dining table pretty fast after the old one was taken by my uncle but for a while we didn't have that, either, and let me tell ya, it was rather tricky giving your toddler dinner with no furniture to sit on or eat at. Haha!

Cosy, eh?




















But I'm really excited about this now and even though we don't have a lot of money since, you know, I'm home, we're still going to be able to buy some cute Ikea things with the money we got from the shelves and some savings and I'm also finding lovely treasures at thrift/resale stores. Nothing has to be expensive and fancy but they will be ours. And that makes them special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment :)